Wednesday 27 December 2006

Simple things...

... smiling eyes, sqeaky sand, sunshine, stars- all missing from life in Hong Kong and apparently make me abundantly happy!

We're staying in a little hut nby the beach- the view is amazing. This place is truely paradise. Not a lot to do and really underdeveloped, but stunning. I've straddled more Vietnamese men in the last 2 days than ever before (surprisingly?)- the only way to get around is on the back of someones scooter!

We went on a fishing boat yesterday and did some fishing (I cought my first ever fish!!) and snorkelling. The day before we wondered around tyhe 'town'. Vietnam is much poorer than thailand and you can see it - the marlket was fascinating. But what always gets me every time I visit SE asia is how happy and friends people are with what they have. It's so easy to llose sight of that in Hong Kong- a combination of chinese face and ruthless capiltalism means there are hardly any smiles there. I miss that and I keep forgetting I miss it when I'm there. It make a huge difference when people smile.

We're catching a boat from here to a place called Rach Gia on Saturday and then winding our way back to HCM through the delta. I can't wait to do all the history museum and the cu Chi tunnels- they're meant to be amazing (although I remeber having a panic attack in a tunnel in 'Tarazans' in blackpool when I was a kid- I'll let you know if I make it down into the tunnels!!)

i'm trtying to upload all the photos and stuff but this compuer isn't my friends- maybe when we're back in HCM

Happy New Year everyone- may it bring you everything you need xxxx

2 comments:

Marian said...

Happy New Year darling! It looks like paradise; wish I were there. xxx

Discovering said...

Happy New Year my dear! Looks great! Glad to see its lifted your spirits as well.