Wednesday 3 January 2007

Hidden History..

The next installment!

Due to a typhoon and a Tsunami warning (mum- we're ok) we couldn't get off Phu Quoc. It was paradise but very quiet and I'm glad we've moved on now. Sarah made friends with the entire crew of divers here so New Years was spent doing shots of tequlia and dancing with them in Eden- the only bar still going on the beach! We made friends with the manager and gave him mince pies on Christmas day so all got special sparklers- was very silly and fun. The hotel next door launched about 100 paper mini hot airballoons that sailed off into the night sky bidding farewell to 2006- it was lovely.. (Marian- you remember the ones we saw on ko Samet? Just like them except loads going up one after another..)

We toured the whole of the Island on scooters (driven by Vietnese men!) and we've all got quite a tan now- no longer white and vunerable which is much better than before..

Back in Sai Gon early this morning after another bumpy ride on a 60 seater plane. We are staying in the Hong Kong hotel (!) - which has clean sheets and air con and even a TV. Most welcome afte rthe last hut we were in.

We wondered around the huge market here and then went to the War Remenants Museum today- which was incredible. It was the most simple display of photos and text, but mesmerising... But some of the pictures- it was truley horrific. The things the US soldiers did are just unspeakable. I cried. The disfigurement of children due to Chemical weapons, even today, makes me feel that war is always so wrong. I am more determind than ever to visit My Son (My Lai to us I think) when we go further north. How easily these images pass us and we forget- or choose to forget - them. And the most moving part of it was that it also spoke for american soldiers hurts by Agent Orange in the war. Unlike to the communist propaganda I saw in Cuban museums, this seems to show sympathy and understanding for everyone hurt. Obviously it was a different story- as in, Vietnam is now liberated and unified by the commuinists- but I'm still in awe of these people. They have had such a terrible history and yet are so welcoming and warm to everyone- even American's. I feel so much respect and admiration for people here. It's the most amazing attitude.

Tomorrow the cu Chi tunnels, which I'm really excited about! I have lots of lovely photos but just can't find anywhere with a USB- words will have to do..

Love you all, Happy New Year! Any resolutions?? xxxx

3 comments:

robynandben said...

My resolution is to never skydive naked with a kangaroo. I like to keep my resolutions ubreakable.

Bx

Unknown said...

what an excitement. do you know for the first time in my life i might be leaving the comfort of the western world and going to india - oh how i admire your appreciation of clean sheets, television and air con. quite what i'll do without such things i dread to think.
have a fabulous time....
love
edward

Marian said...

Wow - I can just imagine all those balloons - it must have been an amazing sight. Can't wait to see the photos. I've a boring resolution to find a new job! I will not be undervalued!