Monday 21 May 2007

The Final Chapter

I have been home a week- in 'real time' if not Danielle time. Until yesterday it didn't seem like I'd stopped anywhere. I continue to yo -yo back and forth between 'please take me back to Asia' and 'I just want to stay here with the people I adore'. There are some definite plus points to the UK. I can go for long runs in leafy fields by the Thames (and not be dripping in sweat or breathing car fumes). My family are here, especially my grandpa who's been seriously unwell and my grandma who is going a bit dippy (she thought she'd won the lottery on Wednesday- turns out she'd got her ticket confused with the slip you print the results on. Oh lord..) . And I have wonderful, smart, challenging friends here, who I love and want to be part of the fabric of their lives again. One of my old flatmates appears to have been in a relationship for a year without me knowing. I'm ashamed and saddened to have missed out on the important experiences of the people I love.

But.

There it is- that niggling but. I love Asia. I loved Hong Kong. In terms of lifestyle, I could have a better life in HK than the UK. And I would probably love my job for the next two years as a primary school teacher. I could continue to travel, enjoy HK and save. A lot.

But.

There it is again. There is a hesitancy to commit to going back.

Who knows what the future will hold. I’m awaiting my epiphany. Failing that, I just have to make my mind up...

-The End-

2 comments:

Daniel Swan said...

as a certain well known sports brand likes to say..'just do it'.

If you come back to HK and then realise it is a mistake it will be alot easier to 'jump ship' and go back to the UK than it would be the other way round.

Just my opinion Miss Biddle...

Daniel Swan said...

Daniel, by the way, as for 'larry white', dont ask!