Sunday 6 May 2007

Where I've been..

7 days in Mongolia

I ended up staying in Ger's and touring the countryside for a week in Mongolia! It was awesome- sadly this PC won't let me add any photos and I don't have time to write a full account, but you can cheat and read Danny's excellent account of the whole week if you're interested: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Danny+in+Asia/ (Dan- hope that's ok? Let me know if not and I'll take down the link..)

5 days on a train

I took the transiberian express from Ulaanbaator to Moscow across Siberia! It took 5 days- the train running on Moscow time for the whole journey (so outside it was dark and inside the train it was only 3pm!)
My wonderful companions from our Mongolia trip helped load me, and my huge box of food, into a small 2 berth compartment. My roomie turned out to be a Chinese born Texan, who turned out to be close to the perfect buddy. We decorated our little cabin with Tibetan and Mongolia prayer flags, multicoloured butterflies and shawls. I think this means we got extra inspection at the Russian border- which took six long hours anyway. As with the Mongolian border crossing, the officials were all in frighteningly pressed and starched uniforms, only without the stiletto patent black ankle boots of the Mongolian officials.

The days rolled past easily; we spent the hours reading, talking or trying to have a wash in the tiny metal sink while being thrown around by the train. To one side, we have the company of two Canadians, Ian and John. Ian was John father, and I can only describe as 'Clint Eastwood' character with his gravelly voice and swaying hips. To our other side, we had two English lads, one of whom a poker addict. After fashioning a makeshift poker table out of the train back rests and suitcases, we would settle down for the night to play Texas hold'em. we improvised chips with pretzels, various coins from our travels and worthers originals (although Ian was sad to let them go.) There may also have been a little vodka involved...

Moscow and St Petersburg

I met dad at the train station yesterday- slightly vexed that in Asia, spotting someone is normally easy. Here suddenly I was faced with the prospect of finding my slightly greying father in his signature leather jacket in a crowd of.. middle aged men sporting leather jackets. However, as the people here so far have had cold, hard faces with steely eyes, I soon picked out a friendly face. We spent yesterday wondering around the city, which is actually more beautiful than I expected, but like it's citizens is steely and cold. I got my first glimpse of St Basil's last night at dusk, and had my first proper meal in about 2 weeks. Wonderful.

Staying in proper hotels, internet access is going to be expensive and I doubt I'll have much free time. So I promise a full train, Mongolia and Russian run-down will appear one I am back in blighty (with no job or any money- I'll have nothing else to do!!)

No comments: