Wednesday 7 February 2007

Today I saw Angkor Wat. Beat that.

...we spent 10 hours visiting the temples and it was incredible. Angkor itself was my favourite, but the bayon was also incredible and Ta Phrom (the one taken over by trees) just beautiful. Tomorrow we're off to about 7 more and that's not even half!

Cambodia seems noticably poorer than any of it's neighbours. The number if scared, disfigured beggars in the streets is hard. The children selling books and bracelets seem greater in number. Child sex tourism is apparent in more than posters. And yet i like this place- I may come back and volunteer.

The S21 genocide museum and killing fields were hard to take. How this happened, and still happens, is so utterly incomprehensible to me. what is wrong with our world? I'm glad we saw this at the end of the trip- I'm not sure if I could've seen that at the start of the trip. Somehow you seem more equipt to deal with Vietnam- I guess the images are more familar. does that make them less horrific? I hope it's just we have the tools to break it down.

Anyways, I'm off to bed. It's been an amazing day, and an incredible six weeks. Bring on tomorrow xx

No comments: